With all of the beautiful locales available to choose from when deciding your next mountain biking trip, it can be difficult to actually commit yourself to just one. Depending on how far you’re willing to travel, the options stretch from Canada to Australia and every country in between. However, there’s no need to leave the beautiful United States of America for some of the highest quality mountain biking available to be had. With that in mind, here is a selection of the top 5 mountain biking trails that can be found in our gorgeous country!
- McKenzie River Trail – Eugene, Oregon: With a distance of a solid 26.5 miles, this trail isn’t necessarily for the faint of heart (or the lazy). With that being said, it offers beautiful single track trails that are good for both beginners and experts. There are forests and lava fields to cross through and various hot springs and waterfalls for relief from the heat and sweat. It’s a perfect example of what the Pacific Northwest offers when it comes to natural beauty.
- Poison Spider Mesa Trail – Moab, Utah: Don’t let the terrifying name scare you off; this place is gorgeous. Moab is known for some of the world’s best mountain biking and this trail exemplifies all that it has to offer. Only 13 miles long, it trades distance for a rise in elevation of over 1,000 feet. The way down isn’t technically difficult but the terrain has deep sand which can be brutal on your muscles. Bring water, this is desert country.
- Bandtail Divide Trail – Bozeman, Montana: Montana is called “big sky country” for a good reason; it’s stunningly beautiful and you can really see the sky. This trail is 31 miles long and has at least 2 miles of incline and a pine forest that will take your breath away. Just get ready, 31 miles isn’t a short trip!
- Munds Wagon Trail – Sedona, Arizona: This trail is only 8 miles long but has a 1,200 foot accession. However there are dips to make the trek easier and this trail is more about the natural beauty of Sedona than about the difficulty biking it. The red rocks are iconic and deserve to be seen by all.
- Trail 401 – Crested Butte, Colorado: At only 8.6 miles, this is another trail that isn’t too long but that makes up for it in beauty and incline. You’ll climb around 3,000 feet to 11,000 feet and you’ll really feel the burn at those high levels. However that height gives you stunningly beautiful views that are so worth the effort.
These are just some of the beautiful trails available in the country. You should go explore them all! If you’d like to read more, the list is here.